Avalanche SAFETY "Basics"
2-DAY COURSE IN THE FRENCH ALPS
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE?
It's for ANYONE, regardless of method of travel, even without prior experience in Safety in Avalanche Terrain, who wants to start exploring new horizons in the Winter Outdoors
WHAT'S THE GOAL?
Raise awareness of the phenomenon of Avalanches during Winter Time in the Mountain Terrain
Goals of this FORMATION
- Be aware of Inherent Avalanche Danger during Winter Mountain Conditions
- Work out How to Plan your next Outdoor Winter Activity: Conditions, Terrain and Human Factor
- Learn Good Habits and Decision Making in Avalanche Terrain
- Get Started in Self-Rescue
- Promote Training in Safety in Avalanche Terrain to improve Mountaineers Skills and Reduce Accidents
YOU WILL LEARN THE FOLLOWING CONTENT
- ASSESSMENT AND DECISION FRAMEWORK: Conditions, Terrain and Human Factors
- CONDITIONS: Avalanche Bulletin - Weather Forecast - Topographic Map Reading
- TERRAIN: Avalanche Parts - The 7 Variables - AVALUATOR
- GROUP: 3x3 Munter - Human Factor - Safe Snow Travel - Good Habits - Heuristics Traps
- STANDARD AVALANCHE SAFETY KIT: Beacon, Probe and Shovel
- RESCUE DEMO: If Caught - If not Caught - Search - Alert - Air Rescue - Extricating - First Aid
DURATION AND STRUCTURE
DURATION: 2 days
- 1st DAY: 3h theory + 3h practice
- 2nd DAY: 3h theory + 3h practice
TOTAL: 6h theory + 6h practice
- The course begins with a classroom theory session introducing the elements of the course and a brief understanding of avalanches.
- In the end of each subject we will put in practice the knowledge using quiz and dynamics, indoor the class and in the outdoors.
- Depending on weather conditions we will do a hiking winter activity to recognize and put in practice all the course content.
- Different Homogeneous Groups: Free-riders, Mountain Skiers, Backcountry Skiers, Snowshoe Hikers, Alpine Skiers...
- Easy-Access Refuge, Ski Resort... in the TARENTAISE REGION, French Alps. Click here to see it in Google Maps
*The location will be defined when the group is confirmed
- Accommodation is not included but we can suggest you a hotel/ lodge or apartment during the course duration depending on your preferences.
- 1 teacher per 10 students
*The minimum number is 4 people
Student Necessary Equipment
- Personal Winter Clothing
- Computer or Tablet + Notebook and Pencil
- Mountain Skis (Ski Rando) or Snowshoes for outdoors interactive class
- Standard Avalanche Safety Kit: DVA, shovel and probe.
*Even you can hire the winter sport equipment. If you prefer we can manage the hire process with local ski shops.
- December 20' - January 21' - February 21' - March 21' - April 21'
- Activity on demand for groups or individuals
- Contact directly with your teacher
- 229€ per person
- Professional Mountain Leader specialised in Snow Science
- 2 Days of Avalanche Safety Basics Course
- Mountain Accident Insurance + Civil Liability Insurance in Europe
- Personal Clothing
- Computer + Notebook
- Mountain Skis or Snowshoes
- Standard Avalanche Safety Kit
- Travel to/ from the meeting point
- Bank Transfer
- Pay by Check
SERGIO CISNEROS GALEA
- 10 Years of Mountain Leading Experience in Europe: Spain, Italy, France, Portugal and Morocco
- 3 Years of Winter Mountain Conditions Experience Leading People in The Pyrenees and The Alps
- Professional Mountain Leader
- Specialist in Snow Science - S.T.A. Lv. 2 (Security in Avalanche Terrain)
- Wilderness First Responder