ETNA AND STROMBOLI italIAN trek
THE MOST ACTIVES VOLCANOES OF EUROPE
Catania - Taormina - Stromboli - Cefalú - Etna
Sicily. Beautiful, seductive... Sicily attracts travelers since immemorial time. The land of the Cyclops has been praised by poets, from Homer to Virgil, and appreciated by numerous ancient cultures.
The varied Sicilian landscape impresses upon arrival. When flying to Catania, the smoking mole of Etna greets the traveler. The sea, volcanoes and mountains are an incomparable backdrop for outdoor activities.
The volcano of Etna, a mass of 3,321 m high of the sea level, with more than 600,000 years of activity behind it, spitting fire, changing the landscape incessantly. Our goal will be, if left, to reach the area of the somital craters, located at 3,200 m altitude.
We will climb "the Mediterranean Lighthouse", the Stromboli, an eternal lava lamp whose eruptions continuously illuminate the night. The most active volcano of Europe. In any case, the night hike to see the Stromboli eruptions will be one of the unforgettable experiences that we will experience during the trip. We will visit the most beautiful villages on the island of Sicily, Cefalù and Taormina, a mix of cultures and landscapes. This are just some things that mediterranean island has to show us. Are you ready?
ℹ 5-Day Trip/ 3-Day Hike
- Climb to the most active volcanoes in the world: Etna and Stromboli
- Taste one of the best cuisines of the Mediterranean: The Sicilian cuisine
- Professional Mountain Leader Included
- Small groups: 2 - 8 people
800€ pEr person
"One of the best experiences... very professional and above all very fun. Thank you for such an amazing trip"
Republica SUP, Alicante, Spain
DAY 1: FLIGHT TO CATANIA
Night in Catania. Briefing of the trip. Possibility of visiting the urban center during the evening.
* Accommodation B&B: Antiche Volte
DAY 2: TAORMINA - STROMBOLI
On the way to Milazzo we stop at Taormina, a cosy small village which acts as a natural balcony from where we can see the presence of the second most active volcano in Europe, the Etna. Precisely from the Greek theater of Taormina you have one of the best photo-shooting of the volcano. The journey by boat Milazzo - Stromboli lasts three hours, as we move to the most distant island of the Aeolian Islands. After settling in the hotel we will meet in the afternoon the local guides who will lead us to the top of the volcano.
Option 2: Go straight in the morning to Milazzo to catch the ferry. 3 hours of travel Stroll around the island of Stromboli and night ascent to the volcano accompanied by local guides.
HIKES OF THE DAY
NIGHT CLIMB TO STROMBOLI VOLCANO
Distance: 8 km Gain Elevation: 870 meters. Loss Elevation: 870 meters.
The regular eruptions of this volcano are a spectacle to contemplate during the night, a good memory for the lifetime. We will climb more than 870 m slowly and keeping a steady pace imposed by authorized guides, this effort is up to everyone that has a normal fitness level. The descent is comfortable, as we descend on volcanic sand slopes.
* Accommodation B&B: Casa del Sole (Stromboli)
DAY 3: CEFALÚ, ONE OF THE MOST COSY SICILIAN VILLAGES
Ferry from Stromboli to Milazzo. Transfer to Cefalù by private vehicle. Cefalu, a beautiful town on the north coast of Sicily full of history and charm, full of medieval streets that come alive. "The Duomo" without any doubt is one of the most cultural interests that make this town one of the great tourist attractions. We will climb the Rocca, to see from the mountain a unique perspective of the town and the Tyrrhenian Sea.
YOGA IN THE NATURE
We enjoy the atmosphere to make a break and gain strength for the ascent to the Etna that we will achieve the next day.
THE TEMPLE OF DIANA DI CEFALÚ
Distance: 2.5 km. Gain Altitude: 200 meters Loss Altitude: 200 meters.
At the top of the "Rocca" there is the "Temple of Diana", a megalithic construction dating from the ninth century BC. Is the only pre-classical monument in all Sicily. It's associated with the symbolism of Diana, goddess of the moon and water.
* Accommodation B&B: B&B Scirocco
DAY 4: THE ETNA, ONE OF THE MOST ACTIVE WORLD VOLCANOES
Morning transfer to Rifugio Sapienza, located at 1920 mts., From where we can access to The Etna. Ascension to the Etna, the second most active volcano in Europe and one of the highest. Transfer to Catania during the afternoon and sleep in Catania.
ASCENSION TO THE ETNA, THE SOMITAL CRATER (3,200 mts.)
Distance 10 km Ascent 400 meters Down 400 meters
* Ascent with the Funivia until the beginning of the route. It is possible, depending on the physical and mental conditions of the group, to choose to descend also by funivia.
* Accommodation B&B: Antiche Volte
DAY 5: END OF THE TRIP
After breakfast, we will go to Catania Airport to say goodbye to an unforgettable experience in South Italy.
- Professional Mountain Leader - Group equipment - Logistics management - Mountain Accident Insurance and Civil Liability in Europe
- Accommodation - Guide expenses - Transportation (Plane, train, etc) - Food - Personal equipment - Any change that may occur during the trek due to any incident (weather, etc.) and that may involve a cost greater than that previously arranged between guide and clients.
Professional Mountain Leader - Group equipment - Logistics management - Mountain Accident Insurance and Civil Liability in Europe
SEPT, NOV, DEC 2020
*Private Demand Tailor-Made Trip
Skill Level Required
Fitness Level Required
- Catania, Sicily
- We'll arrange the group's reserves to ensure the spots. Once we get to the accommodation, you just have to do the admission.
- The accommodations are B&B: Bed + Breakfast
- The picnic and the dinner are group choice.
- You can spend around 850€ per person for accommodation, meals and other extra expenses of the trip.
- A minimum experience in the mountains is required. Must be able to walk 3 hours.
- Once you've done the Booking Payment Process, your Mountain Leader will send you all the information you need to know before and during the trip.
- If a client or student does not present the required or agreed level, both technical and physical, the Guide Manager can vary, if it’s possible, the itinerary or program to adapt to the level of the participant. Likewise, the Guide Manager may vary depending of the weather conditions, in order to guarantee the safety.
- The guide/client ratio will be kept prioritizing the security criteria and respecting the minimum number agreed by course or activity.